DATES TO REMEMBER:
-Mon. January 14th—DIBELS Testing
-Wed. January 16th—NWEA Testing—Math
-Wed. Jan. 16th—Jump Rope for Heart Kick Off
-Fri. January 18th—Homecoming Game
-Mon. January 21st—Delayed Start
Due to our snow days, we will still be reviewing for a couple of days this week and finishing up this set of stations; on Wednesday we will begin our new unit for reading:)
This week our class will be focusing on plants and what they need in order to grow, such as water, food, and air; we will read several stories about gardens. Here are some activities that you can do with your child to help reinforce the skills we will be practicing:
· Vocabulary—require & plant—Talk about things that living things need/require in order to live and grow.
· Sightwords—my & at—Encourage your child to say sentences using the words my and at. Record the sentences on paper and leave a blank where the words should be. Then have your child write the words in each space.
· Category Words—size words—Take turns describing things according to size and/or practice sorting household items according to size.
· Phonics—Letter Hh—Play a rhyming game; for example, what word starts with h and rhymes with pen? (hen). Provide clues as needed.
· Comprehension—Character, Setting, & Events—Have your child think of a favorite story. Then ask questions about the main characters, where the story takes place, and what events happen at the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
· Beanie Baby Strategies—This week we will introduce a new comprehension strategy— Repair Bear—who reminds us to stop while we are reading and check to see if we are understanding what we are reading. If not, we need to go back and reread.
SCIENCE & SOCIAL STUDIES:
This week we will continue to study Motion, as we investigate steep and shallow ramps. We read several stories about dressing for this cold Wintry weather, as well as several narrative stories related to snowmen.
This week we will play Top it with numbers 1-20. We will explore numbers 1-100 using a Number Grid and the Counting Board App, as we look for number patterns. In addition, we will begin working on ADDITION :)
This week we will work together to draw a Snowman using rhyming words and then the students will create their own Punctuation Snowman and write about it. We will also begin a new pattern book that reflects a see-saw structure.
Please be sure to return your
Library books on or before Friday,
if your child took theirs home:)